- The government requires me to wear my seatbelt because they save lives.
- Similarly, the government banned trans fats in restaurants because they are bad for me.
- Likewise, the government restricts cell phone use because they are bad for me.
- As it turns out, cell phones do not cause brain cancer.
- Perhaps trans fats aren’t a big deal either.
- Why should I wear my seatbelt?
Citizens certainly do have a “right to know,” but they also have a right not-to-be-confused. After all, very few of us are physicists, radiologists, oncologists, or, for that matter, all that well-informed at all so we must trust the experts as is required in a complex division of labor.
See my previous post for implications on disease and epidemiology.